About getting a divorce

Aug 8, 2012 by


I am married to a U.S citizen and I am Filipino. After our wedding last 2004, he left for the states (GA) and up to now i haven’t seen him in person for almost 6 years now. We do not have a divorce in Philippines, can i file a divorce online?



Maybe. Even though divorce is not recognized under Philippine laws, divorce decrees secured outside the Philippines are recognized in certain instances. You will need to convince a Philippine court of the validity of the online divorce you complete. However, if the divorce is recognized in Georgia, it should be valid in the Philippines too.

Article 26 – Paragraph 2 – of the Philippine Family Code says a foreign marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is valid and if a foreign divorce is validly obtained, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law. The Filipino spouse will need to get the foreign decree of divorce judicially recognized through a court action in the Philippines and then they will have the right to remarry. – The Divorce.com Team

Wendy Jaffe and Divorce.com can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by Divorce.com, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to Divorce.com, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *