Aug 8, 2012 by


Affidavit for divorce – if it has been more than two years since filed – other person has not signed yet – what to do?



If you have been abandoned by your spouse, you can file for divorce just like anyone else. The rules vary from state-to-state, but it’s likely your filing work is not complete until you have served your spouse with a copy of the divorce filing and can prove the papers were accepted. If all standard methods of service fail, the court may allow service by publication of a notice of the divorce petition in a local newspaper. In some states no wrong needs to be shown at all and a divorce can be granted if a couple has simply lived apart from each other for a year or more.

 Regardless of the state with jurisdiction over your case, every divorce has its own unique issues and needs attention to the laws that govern it. If you want to be thorough, it may best to obtain the assistance of a divorce attorney in your area.

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *