My husband is not making alimony payments on time or in complete amounts

Aug 8, 2012 by


I got divorced 7 years ago, my ex-husband has to pay alimony until I re-marry or die, that is what the divorced decree says, but lately he is not making the payments on time or complete, what can I do about it? (South Carolina)

South Carolina


Regardless of the state in which you reside, the procedure for non-payment of court-ordered alimony is pretty much the same everywhere. You must go back to the court and notify them of the non-payment situation. Your spouse will be found in contempt of court for failure to pay and there are specific penalties for that “crime” in every state and jurisdiction. The law is on your side in this situation. Your spouse can ask for changes or modifications of support amounts, but he cannot simply stop paying or pay less than specified just because he feels like doing so. – The Team Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.


Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *