My husband vanished without a trace. How do I go about a divorce?

Aug 8, 2012 by


My husband left me in 2006, without saying a word. I have not heard from him since, it’s like he vanished without a trace. How do I go about a divorce?

North Carolina


In North Carolina (and most states) abandonment is not much of an obstacle to divorce. Since North Carolina is a “no-fault divorce” state, there are two grounds for divorce that apply to your case: separation for 12 months or more or insanity. Three years without hearing from your husband certainly meets the first requirement (and maybe the second one too). Check with a local attorney or contact your state’s court system online at:

– The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *