My husband has abandoned me. I have no job. What am I entitled to?

Aug 8, 2012 by


I have been married for almost a year. Nov 7 will be a year. My husband has abandoned me. I have no job. He promised to take care of me while I am attending college. What am I entitled to?



You are entitled to a “real” marriage for one thing, one where your husband doesn’t abandon the relationship. And you will need to seek a divorce from your current husband in order to make that happen. In Alabama you are entitled to seek a divorce based on abandonment, but only if a full year has passed without further cohabitation or intermittent periods where you get back together. The law states it as “voluntary abandonment from bed and board for one year prior to the filing of the divorce complaint.” Alabama will also recognize “incompatibility” as a grounds for divorce and you don’t have to wait a year to invoke that cause for your divorce. If you have no job and no money you might qualify for free legal assistance through – the Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *