I paid an attorney a retainer fee that was agreed upon, then increased priced.

Aug 8, 2012 by


I paid the attorney the retainer fee that was agreed upon. I received his letter and he changed the fees and add others which he did not disclosed at the time of consultation. How do I get my money back because I can not afford these fees?



Unfortunately, there is no single great solution to getting your money back from an attorney you have already paid. In many cases it takes a lawyer to go after a lawyer, and that approach just costs more money you probably don’t have or don’t want to spend.

Have you contacted the attorney in question and presented your specific reasons for wanting a refund in writing? That is the first thing you might want to do. If that method does not work – or even if it does – you can still file a complaint with the Massachusetts BAR Association. Also, be sure to tell your lawyer that you plan on filing a complaint when you contact him. It might help change his mind about refunding your money.

You can file the complaint here:

The Committee on Professional Ethics
Massachusetts Bar Association
20 West St.
Boston, MA 02111-1204

– The Divorce.com Team

Wendy Jaffe and Divorce.com can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by Divorce.com, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to Divorce.com, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *