Not happy with my life and my husband is a big drinker.

Aug 8, 2012 by


Not happy with my life. Husband big drinker. Never hit me. We have two grown children. I own a house and I want out. I have been married for 30 years. So confused!!!

New Jersey


If you have been a resident of New Jersey for one year you can file a no-fault divorce action based on Separation if the husband and wife have lived separately for a period of at least eighteen months without a reasonable expectation of reconciliation.

Otherwise, you’ll have to file based on one of the following:

  • Extreme physical or mental cruelty
  • Adultery
  • Desertion for a period of twelve or more months (Parties that have ceased to cohabit as man and wife constitutes desertion – the parties may live in the same house. Desertion may be claimed after twelve months of lack of sexual relations)
  • Addiction (Habitual drunkenness or drug use for twelve or more consecutive months)
  • Institutionalization for mental illness for a period of twelve or more consecutive months.
  • Imprisonment for eighteen or more months after the marriage
  • Deviant Sexual Conduct

– The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *