Can I file a suit on a woman who had an affair with my husband? Child custody question.

Aug 8, 2012 by


My husband recently had an affair and I have filed for divorce. The lady had a baby and my question is -can I file a suit on her?



The answer would be yes, you can file suit on nearly anyone – if you have a valid reason for doing so – otherwise, it will be a waste of time and money. In this case, the terms of your impending divorce agreement will more likely be the source of any revenge you might be able get satisfaction from. A non-specific lawsuit against the “other woman” might sound like a great idea but in reality, it may be futile. You could sue her for “alienation of affection” or “loss of consortium” but unless you’ve got time and money to spare (on lawyers and court) it could be disappointing. Think of it this way, that other woman is likely to suffer enough in the long run just by taking up with your leftover, defective husband. It has been said that the best revenge is simply “living well” yourself. – The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *