Got married in Las Vegas but live in another state. How do I divorce?

Aug 8, 2012 by


My husband and I got married last June in Las Vegas – I’ve since found out he’s been cheating on me. I want a divorce but don’t know how to go about doing it being that we went out of state – can you please help – everyone is telling me Connecticut doesn’t acknowledge the marriage because we went to another state?



Your Las Vegas marriage is valid in all states including Connecticut. That doesn’t mean you need to go back to Nevada to obtain a divorce though, in almost every instance people can get divorced in the state where they currently reside – not in the state where they got married (if they are different). The bad news is that you must be a resident of Connecticut for 12 months before you can file for a divorce in that state. – The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *