If divorce papers are signed, Can 1 of the people change custody of the child or money?

Aug 8, 2012 by


Once papers are signed in the state of Georgia can one of the people change anything in the papers such as custody of the child or money?



Yes, you can have court ordered divorce agreements like child custody arrangements or the amount of support payments changed after the divorce has been finalized. You will have to go back to court if there has been a substantial change of circumstance that has a significant, adverse effect on a child or parent. The court can order the agreement modified to reflect the changes if it can be shown that the modification is necessary and in the best interests of those concerned. You will have to file a petition and the other parent will get a chance to reply. Be prepared for a court hearing if the issues are disputed. Significant changes that can prompt a modification of child custody or spousal support agreements can include: Remarriage of a parent Divorce of a parent who were remarried after the original divorce Moving residences farther away Change in medical condition of child or parent Change in finances Birth of child to a parent – The Divorce.com Team Wendy Jaffe and Divorce.com can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by Divorce.com, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to Divorce.com, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *