Is there any way I can get a divorce from him without paying for it?

Aug 8, 2012 by


I have been separated from my husband for over 20 years. Is there any way I can get a divorce from him without paying for it. (WI)



Probably not. As much as your marriage might seem like a foregone conclusion after 20 years of separation, your marriage does not simply evaporate. You will still have to get a divorce and that will cost money. You can save some money by gathering and filing the paperwork yourself of course. Since your husband is absent it will not be a contested action and should be fairly simple as divorces go. Wisonsin law allows you to obtain a divorce based on irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. The law states: If both of the parties by petition or otherwise have stated under oath or affirmation that the marriage is irretrievably broken, or if the parties have voluntarily lived apart continuously for 12 months or more immediately prior to commencement of the action and one party has so stated, the court, after hearing, shall make a finding that the marriage is irretrievably broken. – The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *