Gettin’ a divorce

Aug 8, 2012 by


We ve been separated for at least six years and i want is a divorce – just want my last name back and the kids are grown now – no property together or nothing – what do i have to do? – i dont want to go to court either – just send him the papers to sign and return! (IN)



Indiana is a no-fault divorce state which means the person who wants a divorce does not have to show a specific fault or misbehavior on the part of their spouse. The state does allow abandonment sufficient grounds for a divorce though. If one spouse leaves the other for a period of one year or more without consent or justification, it is technically considered abandonment. If the divorce is not contested you may not have to go to court other than to file the papers. Check with your local Clerk of the Court to see exactly what you will need to file for divorce in your jurisdiction.
– The Team
Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.


Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *