How can he get a divorce without getting an expensive lawyer?

Aug 8, 2012 by


My fiance’s wife currently lives in New York. He lives in South Carolina. they were married in South Carolina but lived as husband and wife last in New York 3 years. How can he get a divorce without getting an expensive lawyer? I got my divorce by doing the papers myself and it was cheap – we were told that he would have to get a lawyer. Can you help please?

South Carolina


Your fiance’ can get divorced right there in South Carolina as long as he has been a legal resident of the state for at least one year. Where his spouse lives, where they got married and where they lived when married does not matter. If the wife is unwilling to agree to the divorce and wants to contest the matter, or if there is a significant amount of property to be divided, a lawyer might be necessary. Otherwise, if his wife does not contest the divorce , it might be a simple matter and could probably be handled without an attorney. – The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *