How can I get divorced?

Aug 8, 2012 by


I was married in New York in 1993. I have not seen or contacted my wife for 14 years. I have no contact information for her now. How can I get divorced?

New York


You can file for a divorce in New York based on the grounds of abandonment, all that is required is one year apart and you’ve certainly got that covered. The court will need proof that your spouse was served with notice of the impending divorce, but since you have no contact info, the traditional methods of service via mail or process server will be inadequate. The court should allow service to be made by publication. This involves publishing the divorce petition in a newspaper a specified amount of time. Be sure to keep copies of the paper, you’ll need to furnish them along with proof of how long they ran to the court. – The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *