How can I file? What are my options?

Aug 8, 2012 by


My husband that I want a divorce from, won’t give us an address. The state trying to give him child support papers but they say there’s no such person at the address he told the kids. I know we both want to move on. How can I file? What are my options?



You can still file for the divorce even though you do not know your husband’s whereabouts. That will not stop the divorce. Notice will be served by publication if he cannot be located. Talk to a divorce attorney in your area or the clerk of your local county courthouse about how to start filing and serve the notice. If you are seeking your husband because you want to collect spousal support, you may have to find him on your own. The divorce will still move forward and the court can award support payments to you, but if you can’t find him you will not be able to collect anything. Sometimes private investigators are helpful in these matters. You will have to balance the cost of investigation against any award you might receive. – The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *