How do I get divorced when I can’t afford to pay?

Aug 8, 2012 by


How do I get divorced when I can’t afford to pay, I am a mother of 2 and don’t work.



 Great question. Your situation is not uncommon. If your spouse makes a good living, but you simply don’t have access to the money, many attorneys will still represent you and your husband would likely be ordered to pay your attorney’s fee. (Of course, you are going to ask the attorney about this before you sign a representation agreement so that you are not ultimately stuck with the fees!) Another option is to call your state bar association (this is the organization that licenses attorneys) and ask them what resources are available in your state for people who can’t afford to hire an attorney.

Good Luck!
Wendy Jaffe

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *