Child Support

Aug 8, 2012 by


I am separated from my wife, we have not filed for separation and we don’t have any court orders for child support. My wife is claiming that I haven’t been supporting my daughter. I have been purchasing formula and diapers and other baby supplies for my daughter since we seperated, but my wife won’t accept them from me now. My question is does that count as child support?

South Carolina


It is good that you have been contributing to the welfare of your daughter but your contributions are not the same thing as formal court ordered child support instructions. It sounds like you need to obtain a legal separation so that you can establish a clear definition of your legal obligations toward your ex and the child. Your prior contributions to the child’s welfare will likely count as “good faith”  and show that you were at least acknowledging your responsibility. A judge will probably not give you any sort of “monetary credit” for them though.

– The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *