I was married in Jamaica could i file for my divorce in Florida?

Aug 8, 2012 by


i was married in jamaica could i file for my divorce in florida



 Thank you for your question,


Many people are divorced in a state different from the state or country that the marriage took place. The issue is whether or not the state that you would like to file in has what is called jurisdiction. A state has “jurisdiction” when both spouses live in the state for a specific amount of time. The time depends upon the state, but in many states it is a minimum of six months. Check with an attorney in Florida to see what the residency or jurisdiction requirements are. If you and your spouse have lived in Florida long enough, the fact that you married in Jamaica probably won’t matter.

Best of Luck!
Wendy Jaffe

Wendy Jaffe and Divorce.com can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by Divorce.com, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to Divorce.com, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *