INS says my marriage is desolved. Why does it show that I am still married?

Aug 8, 2012 by


I married someone in 1991.I only have a copy of the marriage licence.He is a illegal immigrant from lower mexico.I have tried to make contact with his family countless times.But have never found him.I contacted INS they said our marriage was desolved.But if that is true,then why does it show that we are stll married?How do I file when I cant find him?We have no kids,no property no nothing between us.He ran back to mexico soon after we married.Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (OK)



You need to file a fault-based divorce in Oklahoma with the grounds being abandonment. Abandonment for over one year is considered sufficient grounds for divorce in Oklahoma and the process should be fairly straightforward since it will not be contested in any way if your husband has been missing for nearly 20 years. You can file by yourself, you do not need your husband’s signature or permission. – The Team Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *