Aug 8, 2012 by


My brother signed papers for his wife to divorce him. He has never received any papers to say it’s over. She won’t give him a copy of the papers. What should he do?






Your brother should go to the courthouse in the county where he lives and check the records for files in his name. If a divorce action has been completed the records will show that and he can get a copy. However, it is highly unlikely that your brother’s wife was able to complete a divorce without his knowledge and participation. The papers he signed may have been the original notice of summons and petition for a divorce generated by his wife, but it does not mean the divorce has been completed. One signature does not equal a divorce. If it was that easy, there would be no need for divorce attorneys. – The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *