Need help starting the divorce process.

Aug 8, 2012 by


My husband pretty much has me as a prisoner in my own home (I’m a stay at home mom) constantly belittling me, i’m not allowed to leave the house without him. and telling our children I’m a bad mother. He’s in the US Navy and we’re currently in HI, but I I could move back to NJ and live with my parents as well. I’m just really clueless on how to get anything started to ensure a divorce and custody of the children. (HI)



Although you have not said that your husband has physically abused you, you sound like you are in the same position as a battered woman since you aren’t free to leave your home. I would call a battered woman’s shelter and ask for help. They usually have access to attorneys who can help you and can give you and your kids a place to live temporarily. Another suggestion is to contact the U.S. Navy and tell them you are looking for a support group of spouse’s of service men. Such a group would also have access to resources that could help you. Best of luck! – Wendy Jaffe, ESQ.

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *