In my divorce I have to pay medical and dental. Do I have to pay for orthodontics too?

Aug 8, 2012 by


In my divorce I have to pay medical and dental. I was wondering since it doesnt state orthodontics do I have to pay that too?



The state of Alabama Rule 32 of Judicial Administration regarding additional awards for child support states that “In addition to the recommended child support order, the court may make additional awards for extraordinary medical, dental, and educational expenses if the parties have in writing agreed to such awards or the court, upon reviewing the evidence, determines that such awards are in the best interest of the children and states its reasons for making such additional awards.
The legal language translates to this: if the court says you must pay a child’s dental (orthodontic) expenses, you must pay them. If the stipulation is not written into the original agreement, a judge will decide based upon the best interests of the child and in most cases that will mean completing any medical or dental work the child needs.
– The Team
Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.


Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *