Proper way to go about a divorce

Aug 8, 2012 by


What papers should i get? How much will the divorce cost? how long? Will there be a court hearing? What if he does not show to the court hearing… is there a judge that will sign to make the divorce final?



You have succeeded in asking several questions that have no single quick answer. Considering that you live in Texas, you do have options, but what you will need, how long it will take, and how much it will cost all depend on the specifics of your marriage. A simple, uncontested divorce could be quick & inexpensive without a court hearing. A bitterly fought battle could take years and plenty of dollars. If your spouse does not respond at all to the divorce, you can still get divorced, but you will have to take certain steps to get there. If your spouse has been absent for over a year, abandonment might qualify as a grounds for divorce. Check with the Clerk of the Court in the county in which you reside to see what papers are required. You can also visit the Texas BAR Association online at to check out their divorce information. They offer an online Divorce Handbook as part of their Consumer Legal Information. – The Team

Wendy Jaffe and can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *