We moved to Texas 1 week after we we married. Where do I file?

Aug 8, 2012 by


I got married in California in 2000, in 2006 I separated from my husband. We moved to Texas 1 week after we we married. Where do I file?



If you still live in Texas, you can file for divorce in that state if you have (1) Been living in the state for the preceding six-month period; and (2) A resident of the county in which the suit is filed for the preceding 90-day period. 

If you are currently residing in California, you must have lived in the State of California for six months, and be living in the specific county in which the petition for divorce is filed for at least three months immediately preceding the filing of the petition.

– The Divorce.com Team

Wendy Jaffe and Divorce.com can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by Divorce.com, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to Divorce.com, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.


Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *