Divorcing if wife lives in U.S. and husband lives in South America

Aug 8, 2012 by


My wife and I were living in Venezuela for several years. my wife decided to call it quits (we had been married for 22 years) and returned to the U.S., to the state of Oregon where we were originally married. At this point, I have no intention of returning to the U.S. How do we obtain the least expensive divorce that is legally recognized by Oregon. Our children are grown and live on their own, we do have credit card debt in the U.S. and almost no property. My wife is willing to “deal” with the debt by filing a bankruptcy and we are mutually in agreement about dissolving the marriage without a fight.



If your wife has been in Oregon for at least 6 months, she has residency and can file a no-fault divorce on her own. The absolute cheapest way to do it would probably be to obtain and complete the necessary Oregon paperwork yourself. You should be able to get Oregon-specific online forms at U.S. Legal Forms. You might want to have your wife at least consult with a divorce attorney in Oregon if you have concerns about debt or property division.

– The Divorce.com Team
Wendy Jaffe and Divorce.com can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by Divorce.com, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to Divorce.com, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *