What if a spouse does not want to sign divorce papers? Contesting

Aug 8, 2012 by


What if a spouse does not want to sign divorce papers? What other options are there for getting the divorce? (NC)

North Carolina


In cases of abandonment and desertion of marriages it is very common that there is no “other” spouse to sign and acknowledge receipt of divorce papers. In cases where the spouse simply refuses to receive or sign, there are remedies. You can sometimes hire a sheriff to deliver the papers as a professional service. In extreme cases the court will sometimes allow publishing the notice of divorce in a local paper as “service” and your spouse’s signature will not be required at all. Just because your spouse doesn’t want to sign the papers does not mean you cannot get divorced. If that were the case, there would be more divorces pending than completed in most every state in the country. – The Divorce.com Team Wendy Jaffe and Divorce.com can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by Divorce.com, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to Divorce.com, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.


Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *