What state can I file for Divorce in?

Aug 8, 2012 by


My wife and I have been married for 14 years. We were married in San Diego County, California. Because of my job we move around the country. We are currently residing in Arkansas. Do I need to file back in California or can I file here in Arkansas?



You do not have to file in California. You can get divorced in the state in which you currently reside. In Arkansas, a spouse must be a resident of the state for at least 60 days prior to filing and the divorce will not be finalized until a 3 month period has passed after the initial filing.

– The Divorce.com Team

Wendy Jaffe and Divorce.com can only provide general information about divorce. DO NOT RELY ON MS. JAFFE’S ADVICE ALONE. Before acting on information provided by Ms. Jaffe or by Divorce.com, talk to an attorney first about your particular facts and the law of your state. By submitting your question to Divorce.com, you are not creating an attorney/client relationship with Ms. Jaffe or with any of the other attorneys listed on this site.

Related Posts

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *